Sunday, June 7, 2009

Holocaust

The holocaust museum was a very powerful experience. It took a while to get through but it was beautifully made and so intense. I think that the part that really got me was when I was actually able to go inside of one of the cattle cars that was used to transport real people. When I walked in I could feel the screams and torture of the people hunderds of people who had to be in that very car and experience the end of their lives. It was really powerful and I don't know how anyone survived. Also...things like the piles of shoes and anything that was actually touched by these people who died was really overwhelming. Something else that was nice was they had a wall with all of the known people who helped save people from the Nazi's killings by hiding them or getting them fake papers to save them. That was just as powerful to look at the way these people were willing to save so many in the midst of such propoganda and manipulation. It was a good experience and I am glad that it exists as a way to educate and remember victims by.

Also, when you first go in there are two stacks of these little booklets and one half is labled male and the other half female. So I picked a female card and it is this little biography / story of someone who actually lived during the holocaust. It really got to me because I instantly became attached to her as a person. Here is an individual and in some way I am responsible for her memory and her story is being passed on to me. Erika Neuman is her name....and her birthday was June 12, 1928. She survived the Holocaust but I feel really strange having her here infront of me. It is really extraordinary.

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment