Saturday, June 6, 2009

End of the first week of work.

This week has been really nice. I have had a variety of experiences and Friday was such an interesting day. In the morning I helped with the VIP breakfast thing. It was supposed to be a way to try and get donors and people to actually come to CentroNia instead of just giving money because I guess the idea is that when they actually get there they (as individuals) will fall in love with it and want to give more. It was nice because they had some people speak about how the organization has impacted them and also free breakfast =) which was great. So my role in that was to be an extra pair of hands for this art project. There wasn't enough adults for each child so I got to sit in and participate. I worked with this little girl who was so cute! And we were like best friends in 5 minutes. I love that.

At the end of the day there was a concert put on by this group of high school guys that do the after school program and they practice a lot and they have a recording studio in the building. So they did this live concert and it was sooooo good. It was great. I helped prepare some stuff for it and it was just amazing to see these kids really use their time in a productive way and choose not to live a "street" life so to speak. It is one of the many amazing benefits of being at this place.

Today I am feeling a little bit stressed with all of the stuff that I need to do. During this week I really have not had time to sit down and get work done because I have had so much to do but I am going to have to take today as a work day and I will have to not be really social or touristy. I don't want to get behind and I need time to read and etc. So...my goals of sight seeing...I am going to go and finish seeing the more contemporary section of the National Gallery and then I also want to go to the Holocaust Museum thing. I will probably do that tomorrow because tonight I am going to this event that my Palestinian roommate is going to in response to conflicts with Israel. It is kind of an event where I can learn more about what is happening with that whole thing.

It should be a good weekend and I want to really get some stuff done while I feel up to it and motivated.

Also, sometime in the next few hours I am going to go to this event at my workplace....it is kind of like an art day. There will be different things that the kids have made and also some artists will be selling some stuff. I want to go check it out and then go to target.

I am feeling good about it. I guess that is all for now. Back to work.

-Megan

1 comment:

  1. What a great place for you - perfect fit. Don't get too stressed out ... you have all summer to see the sites.

    ReplyDelete